Wednesday, January 25, 2017

U.S. Hostages Remain in Iran

This morning, I was looking over the List of 25 promises that I am tracking and I realized that I lost sight of one of them!
16. Negotiate the release of all U.S. prisoners held in Iran before taking office. 
I looked for a video clip to post showing Donald making the promise but I couldn't find one.

I went back to the original source of my list(s), the Washington Post article, and found this one!  If you go to about 1:55 in the video, there is Donald making his promise:


The video is from a rally that Cruz and Trump held in DC in opposition to the Iranian nuclear deal and was held in September of 2015.

Now, in the video, Trump references 4 Americans held by Iran. I should mention here that it is difficult to find out information on hostages held by Iran online. I had a difficult time finding out if any are currently being held for this post so if he was off in his figure, I certainly am not going to squabble over it.

This article from January 2016 (just days before the Washington Post posted its list) mentions 4 Iranian-Americans who were released including Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian. Another article says 5 were released.  Regardless, some US hostages held by Iran were released in January 2016.

I've come across several articles mentioning that Trump takes at least partial credit for the release of the hostages though it appears that they were actually released as part of a prisoner swap. Click here for one of them.

Still, I've yet to find any credible evidence that Donald was actually responsible for the release of the hostages a year ago and there are still hostages in Iran. There is Robert Levinson who has been held since 2007 as well as a father and son captured last February who are mentioned in this New Yorker piece.  There may be more.

So, since there were still American hostages in Iran when the inauguration took place, I'm going to call this another broken promise.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
------

Photo is President Trumps official portrait and is, therefore, in the public domain.



No comments:

Post a Comment